VisualVision: professional content publishing software - Web site, self installing CD DVD, catalog, protect ebook, autoplay CD brochure, HTML Help, manual, guide, reference, database import CSV

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 18th, 2018, 3:18pm

(this forum was - and actually still is - here)

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Visual Vision **User's** Forum (the fast) « Zip.Dll - and Microsoft Antispyware false behavior »

Français (Google)
software free download
Español (Google)
software free download
Italiano

create Website1SITE: create a business or personal Website with ease...
software support
manuals, documentation on CDCDFrontEnd: distribute documentation, CD brochures & CD business cards; protect CD (Fra, Ita)
software free download
create Web CD catalogHyperPublish: create Website, product catalog (also from DB CSV), multimedia CD... (Ita)
software free download
create ebookEBooksWriter: edit, pack and protect smart ebooks... (Esp, Ita)
cd software
create manualPaperKiller: create a manual, hypertext, manage electronic documentation
software free download
software documentationRoboAuthor: make software helpfile and documentation .CHM .HLP HTML Help
software free download
host hostingVisionHost: web space hosting for VV customers
software free download
create a Web siteEasyWebEditor: build your own Web site, create good Internet pages without code or "HTML"
software free download
Français (Google)
Créer une page Internet personnelle ou d'entreprise avec facilité; distribuer de la documentation, des brochures avec CD DVD à démarrage automatique / auto exécutable, protéger CD / DVD; logiciel pour catalogue de produits (database, CSV); modifier, emballer et protéger ebooks; créer un manuel, un hypertexte, gérer la documentation électronique; construire votre site Web, créer des pages...
software free download
Español (Google)
Crear un negocio o sitio web personal con facilidad; distribuir la documentación, manuales, folletos y CD / DVD tarjetas de visita; proteger CD; crear catálogo de productos (database, CSV), editar, empaquetar y proteger ebook; crear un manual, hipertexto, gestión de documentación electrónica y ayuda CHM y HLP; construir su propio sitio Web, crear páginas de Internet...
software free download
Search:  
Advanced search...

Max results:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (the fast)
   Our Products
   EBooksWriter

Zip.Dll - and Microsoft Antispyware false behavior
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zip.Dll - and Microsoft Antispyware false behavior  (Read 3826 times)
Micheal Meehan

Email

Zip.Dll - and Microsoft Antispyware false behavior
« on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 8:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I attempt to create a Self Extracting Ebook, I am getting the error message "No Zip DLL available"

Please respond.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2005, 2:32pm by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Zip.Dll
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Please just reinstall the product. It looks like some files needed by the product are missing.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:45am by Support Staff » Logged
Ebooks Writer Pro owner

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 10:15pm »

Alert: Version 1.3.0.0 of the ZIPDLL.DLL file (a.k.a. "Delphi Zip") in the paid version of Ebooks Writer Pro contains the Actmon PC Internet Monitoring keylogger.  The infested file is "copyright 1997, Eric W. Engler."

If you have this version of the ZIPDLL.DLL file for Ebooks Writer Pro, and if your anti-malware detecting program was good enough to detect the presence of this powerful stealth keylogger, perhaps the anti-malware program may have deleted the ZIPDLL.DLL file completely--because the Actmon PC keylogger evidently cannot be cleanly extricated from the ZIPDLL.DLL file.

Therefore, I respectfully caution that reinstalling that infected file by reinstalling Ebooks Writer Pro from the CD-ROM is *NOT* the solution.  

As you may imagine, it was horrifying for me to discover that this very effective keylogger was hidden inside a program that I had paid for--not inside freeware, which sometimes has spyware or adware. Now I wonder to whom are the user's  passwords, keystrokes, screens, and usage logs--Actmon PC is VERY thorough--being sent if this powerful keylogger has been activated?  

Could Visual Vision provide a clean version of the ZIPDLL.DLL file instead, to replace the contaminated file that is installed by the CD-ROM of the Pro version?  

And could this file be sent out to all purchasers of Ebooks Writer Pro who may have received the problematic file? Otherwise they cannot use their purchase safely.  

If Visual Vision did not incorporate this keylogger-infested file deliberately into the Ebooks Writer Pro program--as I earnestly hope was not the case--then surely the company will assist us, its loyal customers, for the sake of its reputation and future sales.

Thank you, VV, in advance! And Happy New Year to us all!
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 8:09am »

Hi!
This is a so called "false positive".

To be paranoic I have checked with old backups (the oldest backup I have checked is from 2001) and the file is fine.

The ZIPDLL.DLL file is 99.840 bytes and was created December 22, 1997.

The ActMon PC Keylogger was created after 1997 and frankly I think it could even not fit in 98Kbytes .

As far as you don't have any other virus that is infesting your PC, this is a false detection, so you should contact the support of your Antivirus / Antispyware / Antiwhat software and tell them about this problem. You are authorized to email them the "infested" file. Please let us know then!

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2005, 8:10am by Support Staff » Logged
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 4:17pm »

The product that does detect the ActMon (www.actmon.com) inside the 98K file is:

Microsoft AntiSpyware Version:  1.0.501
This version expires on: 7/31/2005
Spyware Definition Version: 5680 (1/10/2005 10:44:52 PM)

Product ID: 76831-000-0000012-00123

BETA SUPPORT POLICY
-------
Important Information:  This is pre-release (beta) software distributed for feedback and testing purposes. Microsoft does not provide technical support for beta products (see below for information about how to gain access to
peer-to-peer newsgroups). If Microsoft AntiSpyware is causing an issue with your system we recommend removing it by using Add or Remove Programs and even using System Restore if the problem persists.

support
-------
For more information on the Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta) product, visit the
Microsoft Spyware page at
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/product.

As you can see it is a Microsoft product so there are poor chances they will hear our or your comments
Additionally they say "it is a beta, deinstall it if it gives you any issue" to cover their back in case the product does some damage, and you see it does.
We strongly suggest to deinstall this Microsoft Beta product before it will cause any other damage to your system (as you specified by email, it deleted the "infected" ZIPDLL.DLL file, so damaging EBooksWriter and indeed our reputation).
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

Re: Zip.Dll - and Microsoft Antispyware false beha
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 2:36pm »

Microsoft now knows about the problem, we managed to email to a local contact that assured he is passing the information.

We hope they will fix the issue quickly.

I have already seen some nasty comments about some other sites such as "ebookswriter is installing spyware, you are %%$&&&££$$" and nice things like this.

Microsoft should pay for these errors, but unfortunately I think a lawsuit vs. Microsoft wouldn't be a wise thing....
An EBooks Writer Owner

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 5:24pm »

Thanks for looking into this problem and for this reassuring info about the false positive.  False positives are a cause of high anxiety and sometimes much wasted time as the medium-savvy user combs through his registry.

on Jan 12th, 2005, 8:09am, Support Staff wrote:
Hi!
This is a so called "false positive".

To be paranoic I have checked with old backups (the oldest backup I have checked is from 2001) and the file is fine.

The ZIPDLL.DLL file is 99.840 bytes and was created December 22, 1997.

The ActMon PC Keylogger was created after 1997 and frankly I think it could even not fit in 98Kbytes .

As far as you don't have any other virus that is infesting your PC, this is a false detection, so you should contact the support of your Antivirus / Antispyware / Antiwhat software and tell them about this problem. You are authorized to email them the "infested" file. Please let us know then!

Karen Brumgard

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 8:50am »

Hmmm...  Well, I was considering making an eBooksWriter purchase but I do have the MS Antispyware Beta installed.  Now, what should I do?  I am not inclined to uninstall this Beta version because so far, I have found it to be fairly reliable and effective.  These posts are a bit old so I am curious if there are any updates? Is the antispyware still causing problems or have they been resolved somehow?  Thx.
Support Staff
YaBB Administrator

Meow!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 1:36pm »

Microsoft has fixed their files and we had their apologies. They were wrong, we were right.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply, or ask/add more Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

VisualVision main Web site
Easy software tools from Visual Vision:

Visual Vision **User's** Forum (the fast) » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP1!
YaBB © 2000-2001, XNull. All Rights Reserved.
This forum © 2001-2010 VisualVision and VisualVision Users